AI Lab (European ARTificial Intelligence Lab) is led and organised by Ars Electronica in collaboration with 13 partners across Europe, including Edinburgh. Experiential AI, a new research group at the Edinburgh Futures Institute, Bayes Centre and Heriot-Watt Robotarium in Edinburgh, is the scientific partner for the AI Lab Lighthouse Residency in 2019/20.
The theme for the Artist Residency is Entanglements – fair, moral and transparent AI.
The residency is a fully funded opportunity for an artist, designer or artists’ collective to create new dimensions in their artistic practice through their encounters with the world of AI. Edinburgh is the world’s foremost festival city, and has been a centre for AI research since the early 1960s. These two strengths combine to create a fertile environment to experiment in art and AI.
1. €10,000 artist fee and production cost *
2. Up to €5,000 travel, accommodation and subsistence
3. Access to University of Edinburgh researcher(s) who will serve as a dedicated inspiration partner.
4. Ideation workshop with AI researchers, ethicists and curators in Edinburgh.
5. Support brokering access to data from Edinburgh Futures Institute.
6. Limited software engineering support from Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre.
7. Support from Ars Electronica staff.
8. Production support at Ars Electronica Festival
9. Curatorial and production guidance from Edinburgh International Festival on the presentation of work for a live performance setting.
View theme statement, benefits and application process, and application page:
Link to theme statement PDF
Link to application process and benefits PDF
Link to Ars Electronica / AI Lab applications page
* See application process PDF (above) for further information on fee structure and expenses. In case the winning party is an artist duo or artist group the artist fee, production costs as well as travel and accommodation costs need to be split between the members.
Deadline : 29 October 2019.
AI Lab (European ARTificial Intelligence Lab) is co-funded by the Creative Europe Programme of the European Union.
Experiential AI and Edinburgh Futures Institute at University of Edinburgh are supported by the DDI Programme of the Edinburgh and South East Scotland City Region Deal.